1 Tier Grade A* – G
What is GCSE ICT All About?
The recent rapid advances in the use of ICT have given education the chance to ensure that young people acquire the skills they need for this information society. Competence in ICT is rapidly becoming a ‘life skill’ that ranks alongside basic literacy and numeracy.
This revised GCSE aims to encourage students to become independent and discerning users of ICT. It also hopes to assist them in acquiring and applying creative and technical skills, knowledge and understanding of ICT. This course of study will be of practical use and personal value in building a foundation of knowledge, understanding and skills, which could form a basis for further academic or vocational study and also for future employment.
The following topics are studied during the 2 year GCSE ICT course:
Unit 1 – Tools and Applications Controlled Assessment (30%) Year 11
- Information Handling (Database)
- PowerPoint Presentations
- Spreadsheet Package
Unit 2 – Visual Communications Technology Controlled Assessment (30%) Year 12
- Using Graphics
- Using Digital Video & Sound
- Games Technology
- Using Multimedia Technology
Unit 3 – Understanding ICT systems in everyday life and its implications for individuals, organisations, society and the world 2 hour exam (40%) Year 12
- Knowledge of ICT Components
- Data and Information
- Digital Communication Methods
- Application of ICT
What Skills will you Develop?
- Manipulate and process data, develop information and explore ideas.
- Adopt a safe, secure and responsible practice whilst using the computer.
- Review, modify and evaluate the effectiveness of your own and others’ use of ICT.
- Design, plan and implement projects independently to a given timescale.
- Create ICT solutions to solve a problem eg a Website, a Game, a PowerPoint
This subject is useful for any type of job which involves the use of a computer or for students wishing to continue onto further education or vocational training. Some examples include:
- Secretary, Receptionist or Personal Assistant
- Call Centre Advisor
- Sales & Personnel
- IT Technician or Graphics Manager
- Website or Games Design